ForeignAffairs.co.nz – All ACT Government irrigated sportsgrounds will be closed from Monday 17 September to Sunday
30 September 2018 (inclusive) to undergo repairs and maintenance.
- “During the shutdown period, all ACT Government irrigated natural turf sportsgrounds will be closed and unavailable for formal hire, allowing much needed maintenance to be carried out,” Director of City Presentation, Stephen Alegria said.
- “The summer season is always busy for sportsgrounds in the ACT with a range of sporting groups and individuals getting great use out of our ovals, which is why we need to undertake these essential maintenance works to ensure the grounds are in good condition.
- The ACT Government manages approximately 280 hectares of irrigated sportsgrounds across 126 separate sites in the ACT and each of these grounds host regular training and competitions year round.
- “Regular users of our sportsgrounds understand the importance of the ground restoration work we undertake twice each year, and once completed sportsground surfaces will be safe, sustainable and fit for purpose, ready to host summer sports such as cricket, softball and baseball,” Mr Alegria said.
- The annual spring sportsground renovation program focuses on repairing surfaces damaged through the winter sport season and on giving grounds a much needed break prior to the start of summer competition.