ForeignAffairs.co.nz – 8 December 2018Jacquie Petrusma, Minister for Sport and RecreationTasmanians are proud of their sporting teams, and it’s inspiring to see our own Hobart Hurricanes competing and showcasing their talents on the national stage, as they take the field against the Melbourne Stars today.
- Our women’s team will be striving to make early inroads in the 14-round competition, after finishing off last season strongly with a win against the Melbourne Stars.
- The Hodgman Liberal Government wants Tasmanian women to have a clear pathway to excel in professional sport at home, and we want our home grown champions to play for Tasmania.
- Women’s sport is on the crest of a wave and the Government is investing now to secure future opportunities for our women and girls.
- The Tasmanian Government is a strong supporter of women in cricket, which is why we have increased funding from $560,000 to $800,000 to Cricket Tasmania in recognition of the fact they are now running high performance men’s and women’s programs.
- By partnering and leveraging our investment with sporting clubs, organisations as well as local government, up to $20 million worth of upgrades and new facilities for women’s sport will be delivered across Tasmania.