News International – Sarfraz and Co self-destruct in Abu Dhabi
ABU DHABI: Pakistan were left with a big question mark over their Test credentials after falling to New Zealand in their stronghold of Abu Dhabi on Friday.
- Debutant Will Somerville grabbed three key wickets to guide New Zealand to their first away series win over Pakistan in 49 years with a crushing 123-run win in the third and final Test.
- New Zealand’s last away series win against Pakistan was a 1-0 victory in matches played in Pakistan in 1969.
- Patel ended Azam’s 114-ball resistance before getting the last wicket when he dismissed Hasan Ali for four, sparking celebrations among the New Zealand players.Pakistan were again let down by sloppy batting and Sarfraz rued missed opportunities.
- That 212-run stand between Williamson which brought New Zealand back into the game on Thursday, was finally broken with the very first ball of the day.
- New Zealand won tossNew Zealand 1st Innings 274 all out (K Williamson 89; Bilal 5-65)Pakistan 1st Innings 348 all out (Azhar 134, Asad 104; W Somerville 4-75)New Zealand 2nd InningsJ Raval lbw b Shaheen 0T Latham c Haris b Yasir 10*K Williamson lbw b Hasan 139W Somerville lbw b Yasir 4R Taylor c Bilal b Shaheen 22H Nicholls not out 126C de Grandhomme c Bilal b Yasir 26B Watling b Yasir 0T Southee not out 15Extras (b9, lb 1, nb 1) 11Total (7 wickets dec; 113 overs) 353Still to bat: †B Watling, C de Grandhomme, Ajaz Patel, T Southee, T BoultFall: 1-1, 2-24, 3-37, 4-60, 5-272, 6-334, 7-334Bowling: Hasan 16-5-62-1, Shaheen 20-5-85-2, Yasir 39-8-129-4, Bilal 36-6-62-0, Azhar 1-0-2-0, Hafeez 1-0-3-0Pakistan 2nd InningsImam-ul-Haq c Nicholls b Patel 22Mohammad Hafeez b Southee 8Azhar Ali c Watling b de Grandhomme 5Haris Sohail c Taylor b Somerville 9Asad Shafiq c Watling b Somerville 0Babar Azam c Southee b Patel 51*†Sarfraz Ahmed b Somrville 28Bilal Asif c Watling b Southee 12Yasir Shah c Patel b Southee 4Hasan Ali c Williamson b Patel 4Shaheen Shah Afridi not out 2Extras (b 4, lb 6, nb 1) 11Total (all out; 56.