Stuff – At 33, BJ Watling believes he still has a few more years to give to the Black Caps in test cricket.
- At 33, BJ Watling believes he still has a few more years to give to the Black Caps in test cricket.
- Now as Watling, 33, straps on the pads and dons the gloves for his 50th test as New Zealand wicketkeeper, against Sri Lanka at Wellington’s Basin Reserve, his total of 187 dismissals has him within 23 of Adam Parore’s national record.
- With five home tests against Sri Lanka and Bangladesh upcoming, it’s a safe bet Watling will stand at the top by mid-March and inside the world’s top-15 (Parore is 16th).
- For a test specialist frustrated by a lack of opportunities in recent years, Watling has a big 18 months ahead.
- The test championship begins with a tour to Sri Lanka in August, then a December visit by England (two tests), three in Australia including the prized Boxing Day test, then two at home against India.