Brand Reporter, The (India) – With a recent investment of US$100 million, this fantasy gaming company has hit the big league.
- While researching this story idea, we did a little informal poll in office to check how many people had sampled homegrown fantasy gaming platform Dream11, and were surprised to find out that our most critical employee – the 20-something pantry boy – is a regular player, the kind that knows hacks and such.
- Dream11, the brainchild of fantasy gamers, football fans and childhood buddies Harsh Jain (33, chief executive officer and co-founder) and Bhavit Sheth (33, chief operating officer and co-founder), was launched a decade back and is headquartered in Mumbai.
- Incorporated in 2008 and launched a year later, Dream11 was, in its early avatar, an ad-based platform, that included facets like a social cricket community, chat options, discussion forums/ blogs and free-to-play, season-long fantasy gaming.
- We didn’t see ourselves as formidable competition against existing local players (Draftkings, Fantasy Football, Fantasy Premier League)”While Dream11 has cricket, kabaddi, NBA (basketball), football and hockey options, the largest chunk of users (85 per cent) ‘play’ cricket on the platform.
- Commenting on the potential for growth, Jain says, “The pie of sports lovers in India is big enough for several (fantasy gaming) companies to be successful.