AAP Australian Sports – Matthew Wade will play as a batter-only in Australia A’s opening match in England, with Peter Handscomb set to wear the gloves.
- Matthew Wade will play as a batter-only in Australia A’s opening match in England, with Peter Handscomb set to wear the gloves.
- Wade arrived in England late after staying at home for the birth of his second daughter last week, but was always going to share the gloves on the tour.
- Floated as a candidate to play as a batsman in the home Test summer, Wade scored 1021 Sheffield Shield runs at 60.05 for Tasmania last season and only kept when Tim Paine wasn’t available.
- The former Test wicketkeeper will now only wear the gloves in three of the five one-day matches on the England tour and none of the red-ball games when Paine arrives.
- Wade almost missed the tour to remain at home with his pregnant wife Julia, before she insisted he took the opportunity.