Fox Sports Australia – Baggy greens were handed out – six times in four months to be precise – while others were awarded recalls after excruciating waits.
- England is understandably the series favourite – the nation is on its home turf where Australia hasn’t won a Test series since the same year.
- The odds suggest that will stay the same, but Australia will at least be grateful that the series is this year, because last year, its batting stocks were slim.
- In one scrape of sandpaper on a ball, Australia lost three incumbent batsmen; Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft.
- It became abundantly clear in the coming months that Australia was ill-prepared to deal with the exodus as it lost a Test series to Pakistan and then – for the first time ever – to India at home.
- OPINION: What must not be forgotten in cricket’s cruellest defeatAustralia then played Sri Lanka in a two-Test series in February that saw one more batsman earn his Baggy Green – Kurtis Patterson – while fast bowler Jhye Richardson was the last debutant of the summer.