Fox Sports Australia – England matched the Kiwis’ 241 in a breathless conclusion at Lord’s and the sides could not then be separated after a super over – the tournament hosts only prevailing by virtue of registering more boundaries across the contest.
- While Stead was as magnanimous in defeat as captain Kane Williamson had been on Sunday, he questioned whether a tournament that spanned 46 days should be decided by such narrow parameters.
- Get your 14 day free trial >And when asked whether the International Cricket Council should award both sides the crown in the event of a tie, Stead said: “I’m sure when they were writing the rules they never expected a World Cup final like that.
- “But that’s one consideration over a whole lot of things that went on over the World Cup.
- “It’s unfortunate it comes down to one ball right at the end of the tournament when we’ve been here for seven weeks playing some really good cricket.
- How obscure rule reveals World Cup nightmareSix runs were added to the total, but former international umpire Simon Taufel said on Monday England should have been awarded only five because Stokes and Adil Rashid had not crossed when the throw was released.