Australian, The – 360 VIEW STEVE Smith’s stunning form has pushed him closer to a return to the Australian captaincy.
- An intriguing question, raised by former Test spinner Kerry O’Keeffe, is hanging in the air: Is Smith best left just to bat — and bat, and bat?
- Since Smith was suspended for ball tampering, the key issues around his possible return as Test captain when his two-year leadership ban expires in March have been moral and ethical ones.
- Smith has captained Australia in 34 Tests, by no means a marathon stint, but wicketkeeping great and former selector Rod Marsh recently wrote that 30 Tests should be the arbitrary limit for captains because after that they go a bit mad.
- Travis Head seemed to grow by the minute as a Test batsman in his two partnerships with Smith.
- The day may not be far away, if Head becomes captain, where Smith could be a trusted adviser.