The Spectator – The Oval, 1902.
- This astonishing, heart-stopping, game will forever be remembered as Stokes’s match and recalled for as long as test cricket is still played and savoured.
- England’s final pair, Stokes and dear Jack Leach, added 76 runs to see England home.
- That hasn’t happened to England since, I think, 1902 and no side has won a test match after being dismissed for less than a hundred in their first innings since the nineteenth century.
- He arrived at the wicket with England still needing 73 and when Stokes lashed the winning runs through cover Leach was still there: one not out.
- Right now, thanks to Ben Stokes and despite the looming threat of Steve Smith’s return, it feels as though England will draw level with their old adversary.