Deccan Chronicle – Knighthood or no Knighthood, the player has cemented his place as one of the finest to take the field.
- (Photo: AP)New Delhi: The whole cricketing world is going gaga over England all-rounder Ben Stokes’ heroics on the cricketing field in the past month, but the cricketer has seen his share of downfall and was initially known as the “bad boy” among the English cricket fans.
- However, the World Cup final in the 20-over World Cup in 2016 brought criticism for Stokes as he was unable to make the team win, allowing West Indies to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.
- The video footage which was later released showed Stokes assaulting two men outside the pub which led to the cricketer’s omission from the team for the 2017-18 Ashes.
- He then joined the English team in Hamilton for the New Zealand series, and the England Cricket Board (ECB) put its own disciplinary process on hold as the legal proceedings were going on.
- Pacer Mitchell Johnson had rattled the English side with bodyline bowling, but Stokes was able to stand his ground in the Test match played at Perth as he went on to play a knock of 120 runs.